- Plesk for Windows
My country's legislation require storing all server logs for an extended period of time. How to store/keep website logs for years in Plesk for Windows?
PLESK_WARN: Plesk recommends that you do not disable log rotation and do not store log files for a long time because it may cause excessive disk space usage and decrease server performance.
PLESK_WARN: Keep in mind that removing a website in Plesk also removes all its logs. To avoid this, store required log files in a remote/external storage or in a database. You can use third-party log management software or follow the instructions below.
PLESK_WARN: Exposing the IP addresses in logs and storing any personal/business data contradicts the GDPR requirements. By using these instructions, you accept the possibility of violating one or more GDPR clauses.
Note: the instructions only cover server logs rotated by Plesk, namely:
- Client website HTTP/ModSecurity/PHP logs
- FTP logs
- Mail logs
- Plesk-related logs
Server logs that are not rotated by Plesk are not covered. A separate solution should be implemented on your side to store these logs.
To store logs for an extended period of time, do the following:
1. To preserve sensitive data, disable IP addresses anonymization in Plesk. Go to Tools&Settings > Server Settings (under "General Settings"). Clear the "Disable IP logging in IIS, FTP, and mail logs" checkbox, and then click OK:
2. Open Registry Editor in Windows by typing regedit in the search box on the taskbar, then select Registry Editor (Desktop app) from the results.
3. Configure the following keys:
- Client website HTTP/ModSecurity/PHP logs storage configuration example:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config" /v SaveHTTPLogsDirectory /t REG_SZ /d "path to directory" /reg:32 /f
- FTP logs storage configuration example:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config" /v SaveFTPLogsDirectory /t REG_SZ /d "path to directory" /reg:32 /f
- Mail logs storage configuration example:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config" /v SaveMailLogsDirectory /t REG_SZ /d "path to directory" /reg:32 /f
- Plesk logs storage configuration example (available starting from Plesk for Windows 18.0.46 version):
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\PLESK\PSA Config\Config" /v SavePleskLogsDirectory /t REG_SZ /d "path to directory" /reg:32 /f
where "path to directory" is the remote/mounted storage path.
After that, logs will be copied to the specified log storage at the time of log rotation. To configure log rotation in Plesk, follow these instructions.
is this configuration different from following registry because i dont see your path in registry
Please sign in to leave a comment.