- Plesk for Linux
- Plesk for Windows
How to use DNS with Plesk server?
DNS settings can be controlled by Plesk or by the Domain Registrar or External DNS provider:
Click on a section to expand
Easy and all in one DNS management for all domains.
How to configure
For this way, DNS Server should be installed in Plesk Installer. If it wasn't, follow the steps and add DNS Server component to Plesk configuration. Open UDP port 53 on system and external (if applicable) firewall. Log into Plesk and find your Name Servers in Plesk > Domains > example.com > DNS Settings, take the "value" for the record type "NS".
Then, it is required to change Name Server for your domain at your domain registrar's account.
Here is an example for IONOS (formerly 1&1):
- Sign in
- Click Manage Domain
- Modify DNS Settings
- Click on Name Server tab
- Provide NS records from Plesk - ns1 and ns2.
- Click Save
- Wait up to 48 hours for DNS propagation.
Instructions for other domain registrars
The problem that may be experienced, some domain registrars require two NS server with different IP addresses. To solve this, there may be different ways:
- Allocate an additional IP address from the Hosting Provider and add it to Plesk. Then use it as an additional Name Server in domains DNS Settings.
Example: ns1.example.com 126.96.36.199 ns2.example.com 188.8.131.52
- Setup a slave DNS server on additional hosting and connect it to Plesk as a Slave DNS server using the extension.
- Use 3rd-party extensions that allow adding DNS zones: Microsoft Azure DNS, DigitalOcean DNS, Amazon Route 53
Menu Plesk > Domains > example.com > DNS Settings should be available.
It looks in this way and contains all the required DNS domain records:
All the required records for enabled services will be added automatically(DNSSec, DMARC and etc).
Hosting up to a few domains only on the same domain registrar for the same client or for selling.
How to configure
For this way, DNS Server option should be unchecked in Plesk Installer. If it was installed, follow the steps and remove DNS Server from Plesk configuration.
All the manipulations with DNS should be performed on a domain registrar side. Like on an example below(IONOS, formerly 1&1):