- Plesk for Windows
How to migrate mail from Helm with remote SmarterMail server to Plesk
There are two general options to provide access to e-mail data after migration to Plesk:
- Connect existing remote SmarterMail server to Plesk;
- Transfer mail data from SmarterMail to local Plesk server.
Connecting existing remote SmarterMail server to Plesk
To set up the remote SmarterMail server access, perform the following steps:
- Make sure all the necessary data (subscriptions, files, databases) except mail is successfully migrated. Please refer to the Plesk Migration Guide for instructions.
- Make sure that Remote SmarterMail Server extension is installed.
- Go to Plesk > Tools&Settings > Server Components. In the "Mail Server" section, click Remote SmarterMail Server (not configured).
- Fill in the necessary information about the remote SmarterMail server - its hostname, port, and administrator login and password. The hostname must resolve correctly, and the port must be accessible from the Plesk server. Make the necessary changes to firewall settings.
- Click OK. If a connection to the remote SmarterMail server could be established, it will appear in the list of available mail servers.
- Click Mail Server, select Remote SmarterMail Server, and click OK.
- To ensure that the DNS records of hosted domains point to the remote SmarterMail server, update the MX records in Plesk DNS template accordingly, following the instructions found here.
For more instructions on setting up the connection to SmarterMail remote server in Plesk please refer to the following article: Remote SmarterMail Support (Windows).
Transferring mail data from SmarterMail remote server to local Plesk server
Plesk Migrator supports the migration of mail accounts from Helm with remote mail server.
Check the following guide for details:
The following requirements should be met:
- Migration should be started using HELM_ADMIN account.
- HELM_ADMIN account should have access to remote mail server.
Another option is using 3rd party IMAP migration tools. Perform the following steps:
- Pre-create the domain and all mail accounts on Plesk server.
- Use 3rd party IMAP migration tools (e.g. Imapsync) to transfer mail data from the remote SmarterMail server to local Plesk server.
Note: Such functionality was not tested in Plesk and would be performed on your side and at your own risk.