- Plesk 10.x for Windows
- Plesk 10.x for Linux
- Plesk 11.x for Windows
- Plesk 11.x for Linux
- Plesk 12.0 for Linux
- Plesk 12.5 for Windows
Questions regarding backup signing in Parallels Plesk Panel 11.0.9 and 10.4.4.
Parallels Plesk Panel Micro-Update #60 for Plesk 11.0.9 and Micro-Update #57 for Plesk 10.4.4 introduced a new security measure: signing of backup files. This article addresses questions that may arise due to this feature and explains the customer impact.
What are backup signatures for?
Backups are signed with a server-specific key in order to ensure that the backup is made on the same server and has not been modified. This security measure protects against attempts to restore forged backups in order to increase limits or gain permissions.
When are backups signed?
Backups are signed in the following cases:
- The backup is created in the FTP server repository.
- The backup is downloaded from the Parallels Plesk Panel interface.
The backup is created using the
pleskbackupcommand line utility, even if the argument for
-output-fileis a local file.
Backups created on the server and stored in the local repository are not signed.
When is a backup signature verified?
A backup signature is verified in the following cases:
- The backup is uploaded through the control panel.
- The backup is restored from FTP.
- The backup is copied from the Personal FTP repository to the Server Repository.
- The backup is restored from a single file using the pleskrestore command-line utility.
What happens when the server cannot verify a backup signature?
Uploading or restoring of backups with absent or incorrect signatures is not allowed for non-administrator accounts. The Plesk administrator is asked for an additional confirmation when an unsigned or unverified backup is uploaded or restored.
How will the introduction of backup signature checks impact my customers?
All backups uploaded to FTP or downloaded through the control panel before 11.0.9 MU#60 or 10.4.4 MU#57 was installed will be processed as unsigned. This means the following:
- Non-administrators cannot restore such backups from Personal FTP Repository.
- Non-administrators cannot upload backups downloaded before installing 11.0.9 MU#60 or 10.4.4 MU#57 to Server Repository.
- Non-administrators cannot restore their parts of full server backups that are not signed or have incorrect signatures (such backups may be uploaded by the administrator).
The administrator has to confirm the uploading or restoring of unsigned backups or backups with incorrect signatures in the control panel interface and in the command-line utilities:
pleskrestorewill not start to restore a backup with an incorrect signature unless you add the -ignore-sign option.
I want to restore this backup despite the fact that it is modified" check-box should be selected on the "
Backup Details" and "
Upload Backup File from Local Computer to Server Repository" pages in an Administrator control panel session.
I don't need it! How can I disable this feature?
Signature checking may be turned off through the
configuration file (
allowRestoreModifiedDumps = on
In this case the signature will be checked, but will not block any operation.