- Plesk for Linux
Outgoing email messages are not delivered. They are stuck in a mail queue which can be seen at Plesk > Tools & Settings > Mail Server settings > Mail Queue.
- The following error appears in
May 1 11:46:02 user postfix/error: D1E58F0D2F6: to=<email@example.com>, relay=none, delay=564, delays=475/89/0/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[188.8.131.52]:25: Connection timed out)
connect to alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[184.108.40.206]:25: Connection timed out BF8DD84260: to=, relay=none, delay=90, delays=0.03/0/90/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=de
- Incoming emails arrive without any issues.
- Testing connection on port 25 via telnet results in success:
# telnet alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
Connected to alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.google.com ESMTP e28si1653007plj.30 - gsmtp
- Incorrect IP address is specified for outgoing mail mode at Plesk > Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings.
- Incorrect MX records set for the server hostname.
- Postfix is not able to route emails through a domain IP address, because it is not configured properly. It can be checked by connecting to a remote mail server from a domain IP address:
# telnet alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25 -b 203.0.113.2 Trying 220.127.116.11...
- Server firewall is blocking a connection.
- Set a correct IP address (usually the main Plesk IP address) for an outgoing mail mode at Plesk > Tools & Settings > Mail Server Settings.
- If the solution above does not help, add the following value for
smtp_bind_addressparameter in the file
# grep smtp_bind_address /etc/postfix/master.cfFor more information, see the KB article: How to configure the IP address for outgoing mail in Postfix.
203.0.113.2- unix - n n - - smtp -o smtp_bind_address=203.0.113.2 -o smtp_bind_address6= -o smtp_address_preference=ipv4
- Correct MX record(s) in DNS settings: it(they) should point to the same IP that SMTP is assigned to.
If everything is configured correctly in Postfix and DNS settings, check a server firewall using the command