- Plesk 12.5 for Windows
- A website shows an error:
PLESK_ERROR: 503 Service Unavailable
- Application pools crash. Errors like the following one are logged to Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application :
CONFIG_TEXT: The worker process for application pool 'DefaultAppPool' encountered an error 'Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions
' trying to read configuration data from file '\\?\C:\inetpub\temp\apppools\DefaultAppPool\DefaultAppPool.config', line number '0'. The data field contains the error code.
Process Monitor shows the following:
Insufficient permissions for the application user on the application pool configuration file.
For one website:
- Login to the server over RDP.
- find the website application pool name: open IIS Manager > Sites > example.com and click Basic Settings... button on Actions panel:
- Open application pool configuration file properties: C:\Inetpub\temp\appPools\<application_pool_name>\<application_pool_name>.config
- Switch to Security tab and Add DefaultAppPool user.
- Set the following permissions and click OK:
In case multiple application pools are stopped
1. Login to the server over RDP.
2. Open C:\inetpub\temp\, right-click on the folder appPools > Properties > Security and add Read permissions for IIS_IUSRS group as follows:
3. Stop IIS:
C:\> iisreset /stop
4. Remove all IIS applications pools' temporary files and folders. By default, they are located inside
C:\> for /d %p in (C:\inetpub\temp\appPools\*) do rmdir /q /s "%p"
5. Start IIS:
C:\> iisreset /start
The configuration files will be regenerated on a by-demand basis: when a website is opened.