- Plesk for Linux
What is mariadb service? I know only MySQL. Is MariaDB a version of MySQL?
MariaDB is a database-management system and is a community-developed fork of MySQL server. It has the same functionality, but it is not exactly the same as MySQL as it is a backward compatible, binary drop-in replacement of MySQL. What this means is:
- Data and table definition files (.frm) files are binary compatible.
- All client APIs, protocols and structs are identical.
- All filenames, binaries, paths, ports, sockets, and etc... should be the same.
- All MySQL connectors work unchanged with MariaDB.
- The mysql-client package also works with MariaDB server.
In most common practical scenarios, MariaDB version 5.x.y will work exactly like MySQL 5.x.y, MariaDB follows the version of MySQL, i.e. it's version number is used to indicate with which MySQL version it's compatible.
For more details, please check the following resource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB