- Plesk for Windows
How to add a new instance of existing MS SQL server to Plesk? For example, a second instance of MS SQL 2012 SP3 in addition to already existing one.
Note: In order to add an existing MS SQL database server instance to Plesk , please refer to the appropriate article.
In order to install a new instance of MS SQL server in addition to already existing one, please proceed the following steps:
- Download and run an installer of appropriate version SQL server from Microsoft website, for example, SQL Server® 2012 Service Pack 3 (SP3) Express , which is installed with Plesk by default.
Proceed with the steps of installation.
- Click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation .
- In the new windows choose the option Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2012 .
During installation process choose the following options:
- the name of the new instance (for example, NEWINSTANCE )
- Authentication Mode: Mixed Mode and the password for system administrator user (sa).
- Other options may be left as default.
- Complete the installation of the new instance.
Open SQL Server Configuration Manager
SQL Server Network Configuration
> select the database server instance name and enable the following options:
- Named Pipes
- Restart the service SQL Server (NEWINSTANCE) service at SQL Server Services .
- In Plesk, go to Tools & Settings > Database Servers and click Add Database Server .
Type in the following information:
- Database server type: MS SQL
Host name or IP address: .\NEWINSTANCE
- ".\" is required before a host name
- The correct host name is a name of the new instance from the Step 2
- Administrator's username: sa
- Administrator's password: the password from the step 3
- Click OK.