- For Windows, use PuTTY to do remote SSH logins from Windows.
- On Linux, use Terminal application. This application is available in every distributive.
- MacOS X also has Terminal app is installed by default.
Login on Windows
For this, it is required to download Putty client and run it.
Note: To connect to the server via SSH, you should have a login name and password provided by server's administrator or Hosting Provider(the company that sold this server). If you don't have login credentials, you can obtain it only from server owner. If the login is not 'root', your SSH login should be included in 'super users' list that can be done only by the server owner. Additionally, if something goes wrong with SSH login to your server, contact your server's administrator or Service Provider for support since Plesk support is not capable to solve such issues.
- Enter the server's address, this can be a hostname, IP Address or name of the website.
If you log in to this server for the first time you will get a security alert regarding server fingerprint. If you are sure that you're connecting to the right server you can click Yes
Input your SSH username and password to log in.
- If you are logging in with any username except root, acquire root privileges by typing the following command and entering your user password:
# sudo su -
Login on Linux or MacOS X
Linux, MacOS X and most UNIX variants have SSH installed by default, you don't need to install any additional packages.
To login to a Linux server using ssh run Terminal application use the following command:
# ssh username@server
Another way to login is using the -l option for username :
# ssh server -l username
In case you need to access a server that is not using SSH default port (22), you can specify an SSH server port number using
-p option. In the example below the SSH port is 2222.
# ssh server -l username -p 2222
If you are logging in with any username except root, acquire root privileges by typing the following command and entering your user password:
# sudo su -
Note: In case of first login you will see a fingerprint warning. Just type yes.